Friday, January 8, 2010

Ridiculous 1st Quarter for 2010

Ah, the good old first quarter of a year.  A time when a gamer can recover from the onslaught of games released during the holiday season.  A time for the wallet to heal.  A time to maybe purchase some of the games you weren't able to pick last year, to fill in the void left by the complete lack of quality releases.
 
Well, not this f'ing year!
 
The release calendar for the first four months of this season is absolutely crazy.  Here are just the games that have my interest.  I'm adding an asterisk next to my absolute must-have, day one purchases.
 
1/26 - Mass Effect 2*
2/2 - Lost Planet 2
2/9 - Bioshock 2*
2/23 - Heavy Rain
2/23 - Splinter Cell: Conviction*
3/2 - Battlefield: Bad Company 2
3/9 - Final Fantasy XIII
3/16 - God of War III*
4/27 - Red Dead Redemption*
5/2 - Mafia II
 
I think that is more quality releases in one first quarter than the last four 1st quarters combined.  Wow.
 
A quick note.  Out of all titles listed, Heavy Rain is the only original IP.  All the others are sequels.  I think 75% of all the games I've purchased over the last few years have been sequels.  It is getting riskier and riskier for developers to come out with new original content.  People want the tried and true route.
 
I'm very intrigued by Heavy Rain, simply because it is trying something unique and different.  I don't think it is going to be mind blowing (nor a commercial success unfortunately), but it will be a nice change of pace.  I was very impressed early on, but I've been less impress with some of the latest movies I've seen.  The character dialogue and "acting" seems a little stiff.  As does the lip-syncing.  Hope it is all ironed out by release.
 
Well, time to start saving!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment