Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Seriously . . . wow . . .

Even though Demon's Souls is still taking up 75% of my gaming time, the other 25% has been going to Uncharted 2.  Sorry Operation Flashpoint, you're way in the back burner for now.
I've actually advanced quite a bit in Uncharted 2 and am towards the end of the game (as far as I can tell anyway).  I have lots of impressions to give, but this post is just for the game's visuals, because I do feel they deserve special mention.
Seriously, WTF?!  How is it that my PS3 hasn't melted trying to churn out these visuals?  This is hands down the best looking video game I have ever seen.  Half of my playing time is me just staring at the screen in awe, jaw open, drool dripping down my chin.
The game is extremely vibrant and colorful.  Its lighting engine is simply fantastic.  Probably the most realistic sunlight I have seen in a game.  The textures and detail are unbelievable too.  Every corner of the game world looks as if the designers planned for that section to be the center of attention, yet it could be an area you might spent less than 10 seconds in or skip altogether.  The geometry, physics, lighting, textures, animation, this game it the total visual package.
Someone give Naughty Dog a medal for technical achievement.  No seriously.
There's a section in the game where Drake is taking a leisurely stroll through a village.  This section has no enemies.  You can't sprint.  You just walk around and take in the scenery.  And it has been one of my favorite moments in the game.  The detail in the village, the vibrant sunlight, the beautiful colors, the mountains in the background, the villagers going about their day, kids playing, men working, seriously, it was a work of art.
I'll post actual impressions on the game when I finish it.  So far, it has been a really exciting ride, although it is not perfect.  But well worth the price of admission.

No comments:

Post a Comment